Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Shopping for gear and saving $$

I didn't start out with a firm budget for purchasing Jordan's ski equipment but I did start out knowing that I wanted to spend as little as possible just in case the whole thing doesn't work out for us this winter.

I figured that I had a few options:

1. Local ski shop
pros: get to talk to someone who might know what they're talking about, new equipment, size availability, warranty, guaranteed 50% trade-in within 5 years, get to see equipment before I buy it.
cons: price.

2. Local school sports sale
pros: low prices for used equipment, get to see equipment before I buy it.
cons: poor size availability.

3. eBay
pros: price (maybe), both new and used equipment for sale, adequate size availabilty.
cons: can't see equipment before I buy it, have to pay shipping.

4. Craigslist
pros: local pick-up.
cons: very little available in smaller sizes.

I started out by visiting our local ski shop to see what they had available. For toddler skis they had 167cm Rossi's with pre-mounted bindings that adjusted for 5 boot sizes for $169. They also had a flexible cuff front entry boot (Nordica Nordy) starting at a toddler size 7 (mondo 15.0) for $100. Both the skis and boots were available in gender-specific colors which I thought were pretty cute, but at this point impractical for us because we plan to hold onto the equipment for our next kid which could be a boy.

Armed with this baseline information, I started my online search and found that there was limited availability for toddler equipment on eBay and absolutely nothing on Craigslist (at least in mid-October). The one thing I did note was that small sized equipent was a commodity on eBay, and commanded a very good resale price [mentally filing this info away in case I decide to resell Jordan's stuff in the future].

After about a month of searching, I've managed to acquire most of Jordan's ski clothing and equipment through eBay. The deals on eBay were by FAR the best I could find. My advice if you decide to go the eBay route is to start early and wait it out for the right equipment to pop up. It definitely took some patience and dilligence on my part.

So here's what we've got...

Skis: Dynastar, 67cm My First Dynastars with Look 5-size adjustable bindings - DIN 0.5 - 4.0
(eBay, $89 shipped, new)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Sorry about the poor photo. The one thing about most of the newer toddler skis is that even though most have a sidecut, they're wide underfoot to make balancing a little easier. I've read that there's some controversy about whether or not sidecut is a good thing for toddlers learning to ski since they don't have the weight needed to carve. But really, I'm not sure whose toddlers are out there cutting up the slopes anyways. Unless the sidecut actually hinders their ability to maneuver the skis, I'm not sure that sidecut or lack thereof is all that important. I figure that the most important thing would be for the skis to be lightweight enough for the kid to handle on their own, so buying a retro pair of straight (but heavier) skis might not be such a good thing.

There are two other features to these skis that I think are really nice for a pair of starter skis. The first is that these skis have is "fish scaling" on the bases which is supposed to prevent backwards sliding (I don't have first hand experience with this feature so I'll update later when I know more about it). The second feature is the adjustable bindings, which will help the skis grow with her. From the basic research that I did, I found that most starter junior bindings have this adjustable feature and they also usually have a DIN range from 0.5 to 4.0 which is more than adequate for a toddler (I think .75 is the recommended setting for 22 lbs and 4.0 accommodates up to 100 lbs).

As for eBay availability, 67cm or 70cm used skis seemed to be pretty rare; however, there were many sellers offering new ski only and ski + binding combos. I went for the least expensive new ski + binding package that I could find. Girl-specific skis were also priced higher than their gender neutral counterparts.

Boots: Dolomite "Kid" size 15.0 (toddler 7.5) front-entry, soft cuff
(eBay, $38 shipped, new)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
These boots are pretty much the same (visually) as the Nordica Little Nordy I saw in my local ski shop. The top cuff part is flexible which makes it pretty easy to get little feet in and out. They are also extremely lightweight.

EBay seemed to have a good selection of small sized boots, but most were used rental shop closeouts. I am a little wary about buying rental boots because they are usually really beat up, and where boots are concerned, they need to be comfortable and warm without too much wear on the sole so that they will fit the bindings properly.

A side note about used equipment: If you're thinking of buying used equipment on eBay, make sure that you get pictures of the actual pieces you are buying (since many of the used rental gear sellers show a sample and not the actual item in the auction listing). For boots, make sure to get a look at the soles and the inner padding. For skis, take a look at the bases to make sure there aren't any gouges (minor scratches are ok). The other thing to note about used skis is to make sure that the bindings are adjustable to the boot size you want so that you don't have to have the bindings re-mounted, since re-drilling will weaken the ski. Also, whether you choose to go with new or used skis, always have them tuned up by a ski technician before using them.


Helmet: Giro, youth size XS
(eBay, $26.50 shipped, used)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This was my one "I dunno" item. I didn't grow up skiing with a helmet, but the thought of Jordan getting hurt absolutely pains me. I already know that this helmet is going to cause a battle of toddler proportions when I have to get it on her because this girl hates, hates, hates wearing anything on her head. My thought was that I would buy a solid color helmet and decorate it with cool stickers, but then I found this really cute one with polar bears on it. I will update on this battle as it unfolds.

Update: The helmet arrived in the mail yesterday. I tried getting Jordan to wear it and it was almost successful. The graphics definitely piqued her interest. The helmet itself is much lighter weight than I thought it would be, and it also has this really great adjustment mechanism inside to ensure a proper fit. So far, so good.

A note about ski helmet sizing: Ski helmet sizing isn't consistent from brand to brand. Most of the brands have a sizing conversion in centimeters. Jordan's head measured 49 cm which was too small for some of the brands I looked at, even their XXS size. Having a helmet that fits is key, since an ill-fitting helmet can actually cause injury in a fall. Check out this web site for size/fit information for ski helmets.

As for availability, eBay had a decent selection of sizes and colors for youth helmets.

Ski suit: Couloir one piece ski suit, size 2T
(eBay, $16 shipped, used?)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Ok, so the clothing isn't totally integral to the ski experience, but I had to share this deal. The seller didn't know what they had because they didn't put the brand in the listing. She also said that it was used, but from by my own inspection I didn't see any evidence of wear. Based on the picture alone I had a hunch that it was something good so I took a gamble and got a steal.

Total cost thusfar: $169.50


Items I am still looking for: socks, mittens, goggles. I might go to a *real* store to get these.

In other news... it snowed here today. It was just under an inch, but at this point I will take what I can get!

5 comments:

Bret, Gina, Cooper and Hudson Huggins said...

We are also looking for very small sizes for our son and having a very hard time. It is very frustrating and I was so impressed with your great finds. The local stores around us tell me that the smallest size anyone makes is a size 8! Which from my research is not true. I was wondering if you remember the stores you purchase your skis and boots from on ebay? I have not had much luck with the search on ebay for kids boots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

laura said...

Hi Brett and Gina,
I bought the boots from ebay seller kipskishop.

The boots are a little big on her (she wears a 6.5 and the boots are 7.5 or 8). From my experience precision fit isn't super important this young, the most important thing is that they can't pull their foot out when the boot is buckled.

I can't access the listing for her skis, but doing an ebay search for 67cm skis usually yields some results. I have the email address of the shop I bought them from. If you email me directly ltbennett at gmail dot com, I can send it to you (don't want to post it here for privacy reasons).

Good luck!

Janelle Anderson said...

Wonderful blog! We just took our three year old for the first time last weekend and he loved it. He's small for his age...wears 2T stuff so we are looking for gear. So fun when they love new things that we love too.

Check out our photos at
www.lucasdanger.blogspot.com

Thanks for the blog tips.

shelley said...

Hi Laura,
This is so good to read, thank you. I'm in the UK and we're taking our daughter who will then be 26 months, skiing in march.
I'll look for those boots and ski's too. i was told by a friend you could buy toddler ski's that fir with their own boots, which i thought was a good idea, but will look at all now.
I'm having a job finding ski socks/tubes..they all seem to be from size 9!
But found some great goggles, Scott kids icon (i think thats right?!) fit very well and barts ski mittens that have string attached to go through the jacket arms, so no losing them.
Will keep an eye on this for more updates, thank you!
Shelley

Bob said...

I swear I remember these cheap, red plastic clamp-on skis for kids when I was a kid. We're thinking of just starting him on the driveway. Don't want to go the full binding/boots route until we're more sure he's comfortable.